Bittersweet Belize

It feels like just yesterday that Odelia picked Maya, Paige, and I up at the water taxi to bring us to our apartment. The emotions I was feeling then could not be any more different than the ones I am feeling now with so few days left here. Upon arrival I was anxious, homesick, and doubtful. Now in my final days I have a full heart and can honestly say I consider San Pedro a second home to me. Advice that I would give to those visiting San Pedro would be to take risks without thinking too much about it (snorkeling with the sharks was not something I ever pictured myself doing), do not expect anything to be fast paced (island time is a real thing), and to get as involved with the community and school as possible as there are so many opportunities and it feels amazing to have everyone in town know you for the work you are doing.

I feel very blessed to have had so many people from home visit me here including my mom and dad, sister, and best friend Michelle. Getting the chance to introduce them to the school, my favorite spots here, and to people we have built relationships with will make Belize a topic of conversation for a long time at home. My parents are already talking about planning a trip to come back! Belize seems to have an effect on people where you leave feeling that you still need more time here. I can completely understand why we have met so many people from the United States who have moved here or come back for a few years at least. Some of the best decisions we have made here were renting a golf cart (there is so much more freedom), exploring areas outside of San Pedro, trying local dishes (stew chicken is amazing pretty much anywhere you go), and being friendly and open to making connections with locals including student’s parents and our teachers. This has gotten us lots of perks including local discounts at restaurants and even an occasional free meal, cheaper prices on excursions (Thanks to Paige’s teacher), and most of all knowledge about the island that we would not have known otherwise including which clubs are free on which nights, special events, Christmas festivities (boat parade, tree lighting, etc.) and more.

I can truly say I am leaving San Pedro a different person. This is all thanks to the amazing children and individuals I have met here who have changed my life. The people here are so incredibly appreciative, selfless, positive, and carefree and this attitude has rubbed off on me after being here for 2 months which those who have visited me here have noticed. I have learned to be a more humble, patient, and understanding individual. This is a place filled with so much love in every corner that it is near impossible to be unhappy. Even with the struggles we have endured through finding our way, adjusting to the school system, dealing with technical difficulties with our apartment, and occasional homesickness I would not trade a second of this experience for the world. Some of my favorite memories here would be visiting KoKo King in Caye Caulker which is the most beautiful beach I’ve been to, enjoying meals at the amazing Elvi’s Kitchen where we have gone so many times we’ve made friends with the staff, attending school events like the Christmas dance recital where I got to see my girls perform, and of course all of the excursions we have done as each of these were things I’d never tried before. I would recommend San Pedro to anyone because the pros of being here outweigh the cons by a landslide. Come here with an open mind as well as a thirst for adventure and friendship and you will not be disappointed.