First night in Shanghai

Hello everyone. Traveling to Shanghai was a total of about 18 long hours including layover. The first flight from Boston Logan airport to Beijing was smooth sailing. I took Hainan airlines. On the plane you are provided with blanket, pillow, toothbrush, toothpaste, headphones, slipper socks (booties), and sleep mask. Within the first two hours or so on board, you will be provided a free beverage, appetizer, main course, and dessert, all of which is Chinese food. They offer things such as Dim Sum, fried rice, tilapia, shrimp cucumber salad, and a pastry, just to name a few. Free movies and games are offered free of charge for your entertainment and enjoyment. I did get to sleep for about 6 hours, however it was a little uncomfortable, as one could imagine. If you have Xfinity you can download your favorite movies and tv shows to take with you on the go. Check with your provider to see if this offer is available to you. I brought along with me tons of my favorite movies and watched them on my iPad during the trip. This kept me occupied and entertained. Once arriving in Beijing things did become a little confusing. I had to take a connecting domestic flight from Beijing to Shanghai, however it is located at another airport. They do offer free shuttle service, however, I had to take an Uber otherwise I would have never made it to my flight in time. Once you get to Beijing, you must get your baggage and check it in again and go through TSA again. Once I finally reached my connecting flight I felt much better. This flight was only 2 hours, not bad right. When I arrived at Shanghai Honquai International Airport I was escorted by a young man named Yen, he is a friend of Dr. To’s. He drove me and another young lady to the hotel/dorm. Upon arriving at the hotel/dorm we were instructed to pay 500 yens as a deposit. Make sure you have cash for this transaction because that is all they accept. The room is a double. It is similar to a dorm room I have been told. I have never stayed in a dorm so I have no clue. Bring your own blankets, toilet tissue, hand soap, wash clothes, towels, soap, and all other toiletries you think you may need because nothing is provided. The room is a bit chilly so bring layers if you get cold easily. We are still in the process of trying to figure out WiFi here. If you have T-Mobile however you will be all set because texting and data are free. Phone calls both incoming and outgoing are 20cents a minute. Other than that the first night didn’t go so bad, I made it to Shanghai safe.

2 thoughts on “First night in Shanghai

1. I would take the warmth in a heart beat. Yes, we are sharing a room. I have T-Mobile and my data and text are free, so I don’t need a VPN, however they do have WIFI that can be bought which is for campus purposes only. I guess otherwise you would need a VPN or an international plan.

2. Sounds like a long travel day, but you handled it well and were prepared. It’s funny that your room is chilly while mine is quite warm. Are you guys sharing a room or have a single? I heard in China it’s best to get a VPN, otherwise you can’t use many social media platforms like Facebook. Can’t wait to hear more!