A Few Key Tips About Living and Teaching in San Pedro

As my time in San Pedro comes to a close I have started to reflect on some tips about living and teaching here that I would recommend to the next student-teachers coming here. To start, living at the Spindrift you are in a prime location. Everything is accessible, from markets to grocery stores to the water taxi that will take you over to Caye Caulker – it is all right there. You need to approach everything with an open mind and be flexible. The water at the spindrift is different from water at home; its manageable for 8 weeks, however make sure you do not brush your teeth with the sink water no matter who tells you its okay, its not. Laundry is very easy here, it is $15 BZ for the staff to wash, dry and fold your clothing. Another great thing about the Spindrift is they have filtered water on both floors, so bring a reusable water bottle – it will save you a lot of money on water. You must eat the fruit from the stands, it is all very fresh and delicious. Anywhere you go make small talk with the locals and mention you are here teaching for 8 weeks, it benefits you in many ways. You make connections with people and a lot of times they give you the locals’ discount! If I could give one tip it would to be open to making friends, it has led to so many great and unforgettable adventures and memories.

A few tips about teaching at the Roman Catholic (the “RC”)! Some daily things you should bring are hand sanitizer and water! If there is one thing you can bring for the school in general it would be childrens’ books. I suggest starting a donation box at your placement school in the States because it does not matter the level; the books will be put to use in a classroom even if it may not be yours specifically. If you are curious about what to wear, the girls and I mainly wore dresses with either thick shoulders or short sleeves and just above the knee or longer. I would also recommend not packing a lot of teaching clothing, as I was able to wear the same five outfits each week and it saves space. Everyone has a different experience, my best advice would be that it is what you make it. Do your best to establish a relationship with your classroom teacher and be explicit about what your requirements and hopes are for your experience in their classroom. Last but not least, my promise to you is you will fall in love with each child in your classroom; embrace them because they will fill your heart in a way I never imagined.

2 thoughts on “A Few Key Tips About Living and Teaching in San Pedro

1. I very much enjoyed this post. I especially liked how you included tips on living and teaching in San Pedro. I am glad you fell in love with your students. I also fell in love with my students in Ireland. They asked me if I was coming back and I hope that someday I can.